Alice in Wonderland

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Small Things Bright and Beautiful

You must have heard umpteen quotations on the importance of that simple facial expression called smile. Yeah, it’s the little facial expression that can change lives. Now now, don’t think I’m going to dish out that same old sentimental crap. But c’mon you all agree that a smile can proceed towards a long cherished friendship, a caring relationship or even a romance! I remember reading this amusing article by Jug Suraiya. The guy had arrived at the airport after a trip to America and the effect of the country had not worn off. He sported a smile on his face when he entered the Airport lounge and he realized that his smile was not quite being returned by anyone. People looked at him suspiciously …who was this strange guy who smiled at everyone? He glanced upon the hard stares and realized his mistake. Back came the Indian scowl. Ah! Now people were at ease…. he’s from amongst us. One might think that that Mr. Jugs was exaggerating. O.k. now shall I reduce that scowl to a tight grim expression? Is that not what we people constantly display to any unknown person? Oh we are one of those busy reserved people who don’t mix with everyone and everybody!

Have you thought how much effort it takes to smile to an unknown person? Yes you might think I’m twisting quotations here and there. However its true and smiling away at a bunch of grim serious people is almost intimidating. This morning I decided to do just that. Have you seen the beauty in the faces of those people who are at peace with them selves? They have the most attractive aura no matter how physically ‘unattractive’ they might be. It is the kind of thing possessed by few and perhaps I was one of them (ah well…there are times one is just so happy). Well well, let me describe to you the efforts of today morning. Mridu Chadha walking merrily down the park lane. Comes fat aunty. Mridu looks at her hard, fat aunty looks back, and Mridu tries to contort her face into the closest semblance to a smile. Aunty looks at her. Thinks her mad and walks ahead (without smiling of course), making Mridu Chadha feel silly. (Am I sounding like the ‘hero’ of The Ailment?) Now she has a new resolve in her nut-sized brain and decides to give a huge Julia Roberts smile to the next person who walks up from the opposite side. This turns out to be a dowdy uncle ji who has a huge bear belly. I can do it. Yes, I can do it. Well here, I did it. No return …yeah…a suspicious look alike to the one Mr. Jugs must have faced (oh I’m quite sure). And me is completely embarrassed. My god! What kind of people are they? Nah nah, I wont accept defeat. No ways. Next walks along a little aunty …sweet little aunty I must add. “Hello aunty”. “Hello beta” (with a divine smile on her round mukhda). Yeah that was the first one. Three followed! That dowdy uncle ji refused to return my smile despite repeated efforts and I’m sure he reckoned that I was a member of some teenage robber gang! Aye that sounds lovely. Anyone interested in actually forming one?

So the morning went pleasant, as I had intended it to be. I’m sure you all must agree what a difficult task I had accomplished. But I shall give you a piece of warning. Never overdo those smiles. I remember a guy in my coaching classes used to sit with his face more tending towards the opposite direction of the blackboard. He smiled at anyone who caught his eye and since he sat right in front of me I had to smile at least 10 times in one class …and this was rather painful. And finally I became so pissed off that I stopped smiling at him.

So lets just transcend from The City of Scowls to The City of Smiles! Oh man …that sounded like a Chief Minister’s speech!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger mridu said…

    u just always speel it as 'writting' .... shubhra kumar .... you kno u got pretty decent marks in english ...i wonder who that checker was....

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey...yea alot of people do randomly smile here. its kind of scary at times...ill be in new york city and the wierdest looking guys who look like they could be in gangs smile back...i guess its kind of a good thing but can be scary!
    it is better to get a smile in return rather than a scowl..

    -resham

     

Post a Comment

<< Home