Alice in Wonderland

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Sarkar

Moving frames, intense expressions, resounding background music, silence, murder with guns and Sabaa’s disturbing chatter; that was Sarkar. The story based on Godfather, yet so different, that not one moment one was reminded about the Don and his family. This is Ramu’s tribute to Mario Puzo’s famous book. And I have no doubt that it is nothing more than that. And nothing less.

It’s about Subhash Nagre, a gangster who believes that he has all the right to interfere in the ‘system’, go against it and help people out. If that means using guns, breaking bones, or making the elected government into a puppet show, so be it. He knows what he wants and what he desires. He knows that he shall achieve it and no one shall stand against him. When a certain someone does, he is eventually eliminated. Subhash Nagre spares no one – neither his foes nor his family; not if they are against what he believes.

Amitabh has just made a whole new Mumbaiya character, which is completely different from Don Corleone. Abhishek does remind you of the Don’s son and KK is a blend of the other two sons. In my opinion, Amitabh Bachchan and KK delivered the best performances. I have developed a new respect for Big B. He overshadows his much talked about role in Black. Abhishek was good too but nothing in comparison to KK and his father.


What was even more amazing was that there were hardly many dialogues. And just as the reviews said, there was not much need. A few new characters were added (if compared to the original). The plot was also morphed to suit the needs when and where required. There were a few killings, which made me squirm in my seat. O.k. now that’s an understatement. I closed my eyes and my ears to the amusement of Shaubhik who was having loads of fun looking at me (as much as he possibly could in the dark).

A good experience in all...yet left me quite baffled….

Throughout the movie were chants- Govinda Govinda Govinda…

So far I have not been able to figure out why. Puhleeeez tell me if you do…

6 Comments:

  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger Akshay Sehgal said…

    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

    mridu mridu mridu...........NO ONE WANTS TO READ BORING REVIEWS!!!!!!

    they wud rather read reviews nd ratings by nikhat kazmi in TOI!

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger Smita said…

    hear hear!! aur batao?

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger mridu said…

    Nikhat Kazmi is Bakwaas..huh. I am the better judge ....u see my tastes are far more refined.

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger AJ said…

    Goin for sarkar tonite.. will comment about the review after that- and yeah- i'm not at all against reviews- its just an expression of views yaar!!
    And chads.. good to c my blog name on ur blogroll

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger mridu said…

    :-)thanks!

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger AJ said…

    Just 1 word for the movie-- AWESOME!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home